Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter

April 23, 2011

Hi Everyone

Time does fly when you are busy and having fun. 
I have been asked to give an update since it has been almost 8 months from my last update. Hard to believe that time passes quickly.

First, my health issue, all winter long, I have been dealing with Herniated discs L4 and L5 and the narrowing of S1. What does all that translate to? Tests, MRI, CAT, EMG and others, seeing Orthopedic, Neurosurgeons and other doctors. It came down to I was badly needing back surgery as my right leg went numb. However, this would mean I would have to come off Chemo for 6 months and take the risk of the cancer going rapidly wild. My team, Don and I decided not that route. We are doing pain management and physical therapy at home. All seems slowly mending but not as fast as I would like it to go, I know patience is a virtue…I must have missed that class. Hahahahah

Currently, my body is beginning to reject the chemo, I have signs that my urine levels are high in protein and hemoglobin is dropping and my liver enzymes are rising (once again). I am being watched and the plan is to perhaps stop chemo for 30 days the clean my system and give it a rest, the down side is the cancer can rub wild and difficult to control. It is a wait and see process for now.

I have Home health care 4 days a week, which means, the nurse comes and takes vitals and starts an IV and then Don or I can start IV’s during the week and let them run 4 to 8 hours, depending. Don is trained to change my port if necessary and also provide me with IV fluids. I can do the IV fluids but I am not ready to change a port just yet. I use, press and seal to take showers or baths around the port and that seems to work very well.

Overall, I am feeling well, tired and fatigue are part of my day but not as bad as last year.
I wear a leg brace and use a cane to get around and do not drive very much anymore, as it has affected my right leg.

Second set of events, Jon comes home at 3:30am tonight from Afghanistan and will be in Chicago sometime mid May (13 or 14) for Sean and Lisa’s wedding. We can hardly wait to see him; he has been gone for over a year.

Third, the wedding plans are coming along very nice. I made the flower girl dresses for Fiona and Lilly. They turned out really cute and glad I was able to remember how to use a sewing machine after all these years,

The last fitting will take place on Easter Sunday and I think we are complete. We will have a house full of guests for the wedding, Jon, Jessie and Adrianna and our good friend Debbie from London is coming in all staying at our house. Others, like my Dad and other friends will be staying at the Oakbrook Marriott hotel.

Don and I are looking forward to spending some time with my Dad and Joan (step Mom) while they are here.

Instead of doing this years annual walk/run for Ovarian cancer. I instead reached out to many of you and asked to donate to a Chemo buddy of mine. In desperate need of clothing, groceries and gift cards for her family. Cancer patients do not receive assistance in this areas and we are expected to pay 20% of all medical costs. Chemo alone runs in the thousands of dollars. It is education people on these small facts.

A person (sibling) in my own family, last Dec bad mouthed me because this person said it was not true. The cost were not that high and of course Don and I made money to cover these outstanding costs.

It is terrible to be judge by others when they themselves have no idea what the costs are and what others are dealing with. The rest of my family, quickly came to my aid with open heart and listening. Something I will treasure my entire life.

Rebekah is going through something similar. I had her information checked and verified before I moved forward. Rebekah, and her family are so appreciative of the generosity of strangers. I was happy to pay it forward to another in need. It is the Christian thing to do; “do unto others as you would have done UN to you.”
God provides, it may take awhile and it may come from unexpected resources but he does provide. I am working on putting a book of resources together for cancer patients. My wish, is that the resource book helps those in need. Someday, people will stop judging others and start looking at ways to help one another instead of complaining about others out of pure jealousy.

That’s all from my soap box…hahahahaha I want to personally thank each of you who helped Rebekah, she is most gracious in your generosity and kind and supportive words.

Other than that cleaning and getting ready for this years garage sale in June is keeping me very busy.

Hope all is well with each of you, love and miss you.

Love,
Margie

No comments: