Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 2010

May 2010
Hi Everyone;
I had treatment today and doing well. As you may know from my last update, my CA 125 level jumped from 10 to 178; it has gone down to 39. YEAH! The Doxol (new Chemo) is working. The drop came faster than we expected but much wanted. This chemo is a bit different than the previous chemo. The side effects are swelling and burning and blisters on the hands and feet and mouth sores (blisters), much like canker sores. I have to have bags of peas placed on my hands and feet every day for an hour on a couple hours off to control the blisters. I have had blisters in my mouth, down my throat, my elbows and other unwanted areas. The blisters are uncomfortable and irritating. I have some medications and lotions to deal with the discomfort. Treatment with this chemo is every other week.
As many of you know the Ovarian Cancer walk was on May 1st and it was a huge success. Over 3,000 walkers came out in support. I had Team Margie and family and friends joined me in the walk. I did not walk but they all walked for me. I had two of my sister-in-laws keep me company on the park bench as we cheered on the walkers. I have attached a picture. In the picture you can see my hair is really dark and curly and growing back (I am holding the sign with my sun glasses on). It was a great time with everyone. I want to thank everyone for the support. You may have walked, donated, or sent kind words of support and love; I want to thank each of you for being there for me.
I also was fortunate to have had visitors this month also. My Dad has been living in Montana for 20 years and we had not spoken in more than 25 years. Too much to go into but he reached out to me this month and at the age of 88, traveled by train to Chicago to see me and reconcile. It was wonderful visit. I am thankful for his determination and reaching out to me. In addition, I had three of my dearest friends come to Chicago to visit me. We had a blast together and drove to see two more friends; we affectionately refer to each other as ‘sisters’. They look out after me and care for me and love me. It is wonderful to be cared about so much. This month brought so much outpouring of love; I am humbled by the support.
Everyone in the family is doing well. Jonathan is now in Afghanistan; he is there for the next year. Please keep him in your prayers. Sean bought a house near us. He is renting his condo and moved in with us until he closes in June. That’s all the news for now.
I hope all is going well with each of you and I will send another update next month.
Love,
Margie

No comments: